To go, advance, proceed, travel, move along, progress.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

30 Days: Day 7- Who Do You Miss Most From Your Past?


 First of all, I didn't write yesterday because 24 hour migraine. Sorry not sorry.

Some people would think even entertaining a question like this is dangerous- forget answering it publicly. I understand this train of thought. Nostalgia is dangerous. It is dangerous because the way we remember things and people in the light of nostalgia is very often not actually the way they were. We tend to accidentally make bad memories less bad and good ones even better. This is why I refer to pretty much all of my past as "the good ol bad times". (I wrote a whole blog about it, here.)

All that to say, I don't actually "miss" anyone. I don't sit around wishing I had relationships with people who I probably shouldn't have had relationships with to begin with (both sexes included). I might have had some fun, some of the time, but mostly anything prior to marriage was a complete train wreck.

With the exclusion of one individual.

And although I don't "miss" him, I do wish I could speak to him, to be in at least FB contact with him, because he may have been the only overall positive thing in my teenage life. Not only that, I spent a HUGE portion of time with him from 15-19 and I have honestly, the memory of a pre-dementia patient, so it would be nice to have someone who could remind me of who that girl was. Not that she is anyone I would care to know, but I like to mentally lay out how God brought me from Egypt to the promised land.

Also, he was probably one of the most talented and positive people I have had the opportunity to know and I would put money on the fact that he still is. Who doesn't want some form of contact with people like that?

Unfortunately, history is history and in this particular situation, I get to be just that. And, I understand.

"Wasting time
Let the hours roll by
Doing nothing for the fun
Little taste of the good life
Whether right or wrong
Makes us want to stay stay stay stay for awhile..."
-Dave Matthews

No comments:

Post a Comment