To go, advance, proceed, travel, move along, progress.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

30 Days: Day 13- Regret



The Blog Prompt Generator is not giving me what I want, so today I am going to follow in the footsteps of one of my best friends and write about regret. (Her blog can be found here.)

She started out talking about how much she dislikes when people say "I have no regrets." My thoughts echo this sentiment, as I cannot IMAGINE having a lived in such a way that leaves no room for regret. I understand the thought concept of, "I don't regret because everything I have done has made my life what it is now". To me all that means is that God has been able to take my bad decisions and make them beautiful, however it does not mean that I haven't made choices I would advise others against.

Despite having made a TON of bad decisions in my life, decisions which have caused pain and heartache and trouble- I can't say I "regret" some of them. I don't regret getting married at 20 to a man I didn't know. I would advise against it, adamantly, but some of the best things in my life have come out of that terrible decision- this is what I mean when I say God can make bad good as long as you are a willing participant. I don't regret losing my 20's to a toddler, but I wouldn't recommend it. I don't regret signing into the military lifestyle completely unaware of what that would actually look like, but I would strongly advise others to seriously consider ALL the pros and cons before doing it. You see what I am getting at here? The difference between regret and "but I wouldn't if I were you"?

I REGRET not telling my parents about abuse I suffered as a child- while I was still a child. I feel pretty certain I don't need to elaborate here. Things could have looked very differently for me if anyone knew I needed to be removed from a situation whose lifelong effects would weave themselves into the fiber of my being.

I REGRET dropping out of high school. I never applied myself, I never cared, I scarcely showed up to even attempt participation. The not being present and finishing high school really diminished my confidence for a long time. It took me till my mid twenties to even gather the strength to attempt my GED and another 5 years to become confident enough to enroll in college. Be cool, stay in school.

I REGRET staying in numerous unhealthy relationships. I had so many issues and it is what it is, but I certainly COULD have chosen to listen to smart people, namely my parents, and made better decisions about the people I let in my life.

I think those are the only 3 actual go back and redo type regrets I can think of for now. If the blog was about things I have done that you shouldn't- I would be here for days.

It is also worth mentioning here that as much as I dislike people saying they have no regrets, I dislike even more "Everything happens for a reason." Why? Because the reason most things happen is that humans are idiots. Just because God sees your beginning from your end doesn't mean He purposed all your dumb decisions and the consequences that would follow. And while we are talking about it "God doesn't give you anything more than you can handle" also makes my skin crawl. God allows us more than we can handle ALL THE TIME, because we are supposed to be leaning on HIM. Having more than we can handle pushes us towards the only being who can not only handle the worst, but bring us through it triumphantly. AND FURTHERMORE babies don't die because God needs angels. STOP IT.

>Dismounts Soapbox<

No comments:

Post a Comment