To go, advance, proceed, travel, move along, progress.

Thursday, January 29, 2015

30 Days: Day 4- 10 Things I Really Like About Myself



Lets get right into this.

1. I am a really good listener.

I am as such because I am actually interested in what you have to say. I probably want to know way more about you than you will ever tell me. People genuinely interest me. I want to know about when you were little, your family, your experiences. I want to connect your dots. It's why I am a psych student. One of my own therapists called me a "seeker". Apparently seekers make good listeners.

2. I am kind.

I wasn't always kind. There was a time in my life where I had enough anger for me and you and about 20 other people. I don't think I was ever a real rotten person, at a heart level, but I certainly acted out as such more than once or twice. Growing in Jesus has really softened me. It is important to me that I am kind to everyone I come in contact with and even when I am flustered or short tempered I really work at maintaining an overall sense of calm and kindness.

3. I am forgiving.

I've had a lot to forgive. Really really big things and really small things. Some I had a harder time with than others, but for the most part I have been able to genuinely forgive those who have trespassed against me. I am hopeful that regardless of what comes my way I will continually be able to extend forgiveness to whomever requires it.

4. I am for real.

There is very little about who I am and why I am that I will not disclose. There were times that this "translucency" was more like "emotional leakage" and God has worked on me a lot in this area. I recognize when it is appropriate to share things and when it is not. That to say, I am happy to let you know where I am at in both the bad and good, and I am happy to share my own stories and struggles no matter the content.

5. I'm not afraid to be me.

This goes with number 4, only physically. I wear what I like, I do what I want. Love it or hate it, ain't nobody got time to care. 



6. I trust you till I don't and then I probably will again.

I give everyone the benefit of the doubt. I assume you are good until proven bad, and even if you are proved bad I will generally go out of my way to continue to give you the benefit of the doubt. Don't get it twisted, I understand wisdom and won't be walked on, but I also understand grace and attempt to extend it continuously.

7. I am a thinker.

I don't take whatever information is thrown at me and run with it. I research and I ask questions and I work to understand things as best I can from more than one source or angle. This trait would also probably be on a list of 10 things I don't like about myself, simply because it can and does go a little bonkers.

8. I am creative.

I make neat things with my hands.

9. I am honest.

No lies. None. Zero. Your butt looks fat in the jeans.

10. I care about people with less than me.

I cannot will not do not ignore the fact that there are people with far less than I have and I do whatever I can, with every opportunity given to me, to give to them. I don't care why they have less, I don't care if they spend the $5 on beer, I care that my heart hurts for them and I trust that whatever I give God will find someway to use regardless of what I see or think.

Basically, God is awesome. He does good work in crazy, messed up, problematic folk, such as myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment