To go, advance, proceed, travel, move along, progress.

Monday, January 26, 2015

30 Days: Day 1- Letter to the World

In 36 days I am moving. I am moving closer to my hometown, closer to almost all of my family. We have a home under contract, set to close at the beginning of next month. I couldn't enroll in school this semester because of said circumstance, so I have A LOT of time on my hands, and for someone who spends 90% of her time in her head, this is no good. I am also terribly excited which we all know only makes time move exponentially slower. I decided today, that perhaps a good way to use a little of that time, and also to challenge myself would be to do a 30 day blog challenge. Following in the footsteps of one of my most dear and lovely friends, I will use a "prompt generator" as a tool to provide subject matter.

That said, today's prompt is "Write a letter to the world".



Dear World,

        This could go in A LOT of different directions. I could start by apologizing profusely for my own enormous carbon footprint. I don't recycle regularly, I use harsh chemicals when I need them, I create A LOT of trash, I drink water out of plastic bottles, I drive a car all the time and have no desire to own a bike (it's mostly personal- bikes and I have a long bumpy history), and I hardly ever remember to take my cloth bags to the grocery store when I go. I am not even one shade of green. But, I don't litter. I don't even spit my gum on the street. Just today I stuck a wad of it to the center console in my car so I could toss it out appropriately later. I know you are getting dirtier and hotter with each passing second and I certainly am contributing more to the problem than the solution. It just feels like such a big, unstoppable problem and I let being overwhelmed get the best of me. Sorry for that. We reap what we sow and our kids and their kids and their kids and so on are really in for it.

I may like to mention my apologies also for the amount of insane anger and violence over land and whose people are from and own which parts of it. Countries seem to be like a screaming toddler who got to the toy train set first and although there are 50 cars, can't seem to share even one. Sometimes it's about "resources" although we all know there is enough to go around. But I think mostly it's just about pride. We all want the best and most of all things, which leads me to what I am most sorry about....

Humans. We are crazy. We are selfish and destructive. We are mostly perpetual children in the way we think and deal with getting what we want. This place, you, are beautiful. We have rivers and oceans and valleys and mountains and food growing from the ground. We have more than enough that no one should be hungry and yet we allow people to be hungry because if they are just far enough removed from us surely they can be ignored. Your oceans aren't enough if we can't get fish from them and your valleys are useless if they don't produce orchards. We humans take and take and take and hardly even stop for even a moment to be thankful for what you have provided. We are never ending need holes and generally lack the introspection to even ask ourselves if what we think we need is really a need at all. It isn't enough to take as we genuinely need, what you have provided. We are a bigger, better, mass production society of people who, if we could really look at ourselves, into ourselves, should be ashamed.

So, sorry world. You are one messed up, beat up, used up, tired place and it is no fault of your own. Thanks for continuing to be beautiful despite smog and trash. Thanks for those sunsets that make the sky look like a watercolor painting and the smell right after rain. Thank you for snow capped mountains and the vastness of the ocean. Thank you that no matter how terrible we are to you, you were made to keep giving to us as best you could. If more of us, could adopt that- the giving despite what is deserved, maybe I wouldn't have to be so sorry.


No comments:

Post a Comment